Well it was an interesting first week back. Tuesday the staff had Covid-19 Health + Safety Guidelines training and Anti-Racism in-service workshopping. Wednesday they had students for annual check-ins and planning meetings. Thursday was the first day of classes. We even welcomed some of our new Kindergarten students. And our Montessori classes rolled forward into their new classes for the year. We received the okay from HR to roll our Traditional students into classes on Friday afternoon. Students will let parents know where they need to line up on Monday. Please refer to the school map below to see what entrance they will use. If your child has forgotten their teacher’s name, you be able to tell which pod they are in by what grade they are in for 2021 2022. Today (Friday) was another full day of school.
Reminders to Parents:
Please be sure to have your child arrive at the school on time (by 9:00 am) ready for school with a water bottle, snack and lunch.
Please also be sure they have appropriate outerwear. Due to COVID protocol, students must go outside for recess and lunchtime break.
If something is forgotten, parents may bring the item to the school place it in the well-marked green bin at the library entrance (where the lost and found is located). Please write your child’s name and division on the item.
We have already had our first automobile accident of the year (not the fault of our parent). A school bus scraped against their car- damaging it to a point where it had to be towed. Thankfully no students or adults were injured.
This brings home a point that 45th Ave and Cypress St are narrow streets and we recommend that parents do NOT park on 45th. Please avoid the street altogether! Please park your vehicle away from the school and walk. Even with staggered start/ end times with Cavell, there is bound to be congestion on the streets surrounding the school. Save yourself the frustration and park & walk. We have voiced our concerns the the VPO and the City and we are hopeful that parents continue to exercise extreme caution when driving near the school.
Montessori classes rolled forward yesterday. All other classes were directed by the VSB to hold. We just found out today that we could roll into new classes. Friday afternoon we rolled our Traditional classes into new classes so that Monday morning could be a fresh start right away in their new class.
Lining Up in the Morning (where to go)
Willow Pod – Traditional Grades 5, 6 and 7
Birch Pod – Traditional Grades 3, 4 and 5
Cherry Blossom Pod – Traditional Grades 1 and 2
Ponderosa Pine Pod – Kindergarten Traditional and Montessori
Douglas Fir Pod – Montessori Grades 4, 5 and 6
Cedar Pod – Montessori Grades 1, 2 and 3
Link to Sept Covid Guidelines Covid Guidelines:
Also check here:
- All staff and students need to complete a Daily Health Check BEFORE coming to school each day. Please stay at home if you are feeling sick.
- Please follow instructions from Public Health or Canadian Border Services if you have traveled outside of Canada.
- Schools remain closed to parents and the public. However, parents may phone the school and make an appointment if they have important school business to conduct (604-713-5356).
- Sanitizing stations will be available at the main doors, please sanitize or wash hands upon entering the building. Wear at mask.
- Masks are required indoors for all students Gr. 4-7
- Masks are optional but encouraged for students K-3
- Adults working in the building or visiting must wear a mask and sign in at the servery (this is for contact tracing).
- Be respectful of others’ personal space and minimize crowding as much as possible
- Please follow directional arrows when moving throughout the school
- Socially distance whenever possible… VSB is calling this “spacing” now
- Indoor school gatherings are limited to 50 people or 50% of the occupancy space limit (whichever is larger)
- Visitors are required to pass the daily health check (DHC) and sign in with their phone number upon arriving (for contact tracing)
- School is closed to the public. School and office are accessible to public (parents included) by appointment only
- Extra-curricular activities/clubs are possible with caution
- Encourage use of individual water bottles
- Be outside with class as much as you like. Fresh air is good medicine.
- All day playground and outdoor activities are open with no restrictions
- Outdoor walking trips are encouraged for the first few months. As staff and community settle into H & S protocols and parameters, local fieldtrips are possible where COVID safety precautions are in place. Exercise caution… advised to wait
- No overnight fieldtrips are permitted this year
- Specific Curriculum while indoors:
- Masks are required while indoors except when participating in high-intensity physical activity (e.g., basketball)
- Dance or Yoga: masks required
IF A STUDENT DISPLAYS COVID-19 SYMPTOMS…
- Give them a disposable mask to use
- Separate them from the rest of the class
- Bring them to the office medical room where they will be cared for
- Contact parent/guardian for pick up as soon as possible
AT THE END OF THE DAY…
- General and frequently touched surfaces will be cleaned every 24 hours and when visibly dirty
- Staff who introduce manipulatives will need to clean and disinfect 1 time a day.
- Students will be picked up outside as last year by families.
September 24th- Pro D- No School for students
September 30th – Truth and Reconciliation Day – no school
October 11th- Thanksgiving Day