Dear Maple Grove Families,
It’s been a busy week for the Maple Grove Wildcats as we’re rounding the corner and heading for the home stretch. Hopefully sunny weather is just around the corner.
We were fortunate to have iMatter visit the school (Thank you PAC) for supporting this wonderful program that works with senior students on digital literacy and awareness as well as cyberbullying.
The School Planning process has changed this year. Vancouver schools are now working off a Year 1-2-3 format. The school staff have met to discuss our school goals and all schools in Vancouver will be having their documents published shortly. That being said, there is a server and webpage upgrade taking place in the district as we move to a new software for school communication and webpages. More information will follow… but for the time being our school goals will be as follows:
- Curriculum Goal: To use the framework of the Core Competencies as an organizational reference for our teaching and learning while referencing our curricular activities to the competencies to assess student engagement and improvement. Measured through report card data and Self Reflection “I” statements.
- Indigenous Goal (all schools in Vancouver are required to have a First Nations Culture Goal): To continue to develop an awareness of indigenous culture in Canada across the curriculum using the First Nations Principles of Learning and/ or the Seven Sacred Teachings (known as the Grandfathers) as frameworks.
Our school-wide art project to celebrate Maple Grove, who we are as a community of learners is progressing nicely. It’s a K-7 project that works on celebrating Maple Grove and who we are. It’s about enculturation and exposing all of our students to the joy of art and celebration. We are thrilled that Ms. Smith has agreed to be our Artist in Residence. Ms. Smith, apart from being our Vice Principal, has been Canadian Art Teacher of the Year, Canadian Secondary Teacher of the Year, had a film made about her, taught at Emily Carr University and is a Art Therapist in Vancouver. The focus of this project is on the children and enriching their art experiences. We’re planning for a Gala Art Show on May 31st 4:00-6:00 pm. Please plan on joining us for all the fun and festivities with a mini Art Show featuring all the students of Maple Grove.
Planning for 2018 2019 School Year
This week HR is locking all school projections and working on entitlements for next year. Based on our preliminary work, Maple Grove will be full next year. All schools in Vancouver are planning for September. We’re working with numbers (graduating students, Kindergarten intakes, transfer ins and transfer outs). We are also working with staff to determine what their plans are for next year. Once we have more information from HR as to whether or not they agree with our projections and organization we will provide that information to you. We are just letting the dust settle and will be publishing a DRAFT school organization in the coming weeks.
- Class Placement Requests: We do not accept teacher requests. We have criteria that we publish annually. Class placement requests must be made in writing and are sent directly to the Principal and must adhere to the criteria. A written request does not guarantee that your request will be granted:
CRITERIA FOR CLASS PLACEMENT
A. Objectives of Class placement:
- To organize classes so that each student is in a positive learning situation
- To ensure that each teacher has a manageable teaching assignment that conforms to MOE + the collective agreement.
B. Instructional Criteria:
- Ability Distribution: there should be a range
- Work Habits: there should be a range
- Teaching/Learning Styles: should be considered.
C. Positive Social Grouping:
- Peer conflict
- Boy/ Girl ratio
- Positive leaders
- Previous Experience: Previous class assignment of teachers & students is considered.
- Teacher Recommendations
- Parental Input
- Resource Team Input
E. Attention to Each Child:
- Each child’s academic needs
- Each child’s social needs
- Class group dynamics
- Gender balance
- Equitable distribution of students
Parent requests must be delivered to the office and addressed to Mr. Evans and are due by May 11th
“D.I.-MAZE-ing Idea”, a Destination Imagination team at Maple Grove Elementary School, has earned an invitation to compete at the Global tournament in Knoxville, Tennessee, May 23rd – May 26th, 2018. They participated in the Regional Tournament, finishing in 2nd place, and also winning the prestigious ‘Renaissance Award’ for demonstrating talent in all areas from music and art, to designing and building technical props from virtually cardboard and trash. The team returned to school and continued to improve on their solution for the Provincial Tournament where they achieved 1st place, securing the invitation to Global Finals! The team will be holding a series of fundraising sales in the coming weeks. If you have any questions about how to support the team on this incredible endeavour, please contact Ms. Chan, at email@example.com, or Mrs. Humeniuk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rafiki means “friend” in Swahili. The Global Citizenship Club is selling beautiful handmade rafiki beaded bracelets to fundraise for the ME to WE organization. All proceeds of the bracelet sales will go to providing opportunities for women in Kenya. The bracelets are made by female entrepreneurs in Africa so they can financially support their families. To pre-order a bracelet, come see the Global Citizenship Club members before school and at lunch outside the office next week.
Note: Late orders will be accepted on Monday only.
Bracelets are $10 each and will be delivered to your classroom before Mother’s Day.
Dear Maple Grove Parents,
Spring has sprung and the beauty and bounty of Maple Grove PAC’s SPRING FLOWER FUNDRAISER is underway. Just in time for Mother’s Day.
Please view the poster to learn about our campaign and the DeVry premium quality plants being sold – hanging baskets, patio planters, petunia and geranium bedding plants in a variety of vivid colours.
Your purchase is ‘good money’ spent to support Maple Grove PAC’s $10,000 ‘Computers For Classrooms’ Campaign. To date we have raised almost $2,000.00. THANK-YOU to all who have participated in supporting our other 2 fundraisers in 2017.
The target for this year’s Spring Flower fundraiser is $1500.00 – the sale of 200+ plants. Prizes will be given out the top individual and top classroom sales in both the K-3 and 4-7 grade levels.
How To Purchase Plants
- fill out the Order Form that classroom teachers have given all students to take home. You can also print the attached Order Form or, pick one up in the Office.
place your order form and payment in the Office PAC Mailbox
How to Sell Plants
- we encourage parents and Maple Grove students to e-mail and to ask your friends, family, businesses you work with to buy our plants in support of our campaign and our cause.
attached is a Customer Order Form that you can e-mail or hand-out along with the Poster. Both are printable.
Mark Your Calendars: Orders Due Tuesday May 1st 3pm and Pick-up Back of School, Friday May 11 2:30 – 4:30pm
How To Direct Donate to ‘Computers For Classrooms’
- All money and cheques will be gratefully received! To date PAC has received 2 direct donations from school parents – Thank-you!
Write on your envelope and cheque to apply your donation directly to ‘Computers For Classrooms’.
A tax receipt will be issued upon request.
Questions? – Please e-mail myself, Paula Temrick, PAC Campaign Lead: email@example.com.
Maple Grove Pac Website (Click to enter)
April 27 – Professional Development Day – No school for students
May 3 – Big One at Two (Earthquake Drill)
May 7 – Grad and Panoramic Photo
May 18th – School Closure
May 21 – Victoria Day Holiday
May 25 – Volunteer Tea
May 29 – District Track and Field Meet
May 31 – Art Show and Gala – 4pm to 6pm
June 1 – Welcome to Kindergarten
June 6 to 8 – Grade 6 camp
June 20 – Grade 7 Trip
June 22 – Sports Day
June 25 – Grade 7 Grad
June 26 – Primary Picnic
June 27 – Service Assembly
June 28 – Awards Assembly – Last Day of School for Students
June 29 – Admin Day