Dear Maple Grove Families,
Maple Grove Wildcats have been waiting for spring to arrive. Hopefully sunny weather is just around the corner. There are a number of things going on around the school these days. Here’s a brief rundown:
- School Plan: The staff have been looking into school plans and are getting close to publishing our Year 1-2-3 plan. It looks like we will be looking at the re-designed BC curriculum core competencies and how the work staff presently do relates to the competencies. Additionally, it looks as if we will be looking at reporting data and student self assessments as a means for measuring student engagement and success.
- Artelicious: This is a school-wide culture building project that is based on visual arts. It’s a K-7 project that works on celebrating Maple Grove and who we are. It’s about enculturation and exposing all of our students to the joy of art and celebration. We are thrilled that Ms. Smith has agreed to be our Artist in Residence. Ms. Smith, apart from being our Vice Principal, has been Canadian Art Teacher of the Year, Canadian Secondary Teacher of the Year, had a film made about her, taught at Emily Carr University and is a Art Therapist in Vancouver. The focus of this project is on the children and enriching their art experiences. We’re planning for a Gala Art Show on May 31st 4:00-6:00 pm. Please plan on joining us for all the fun and festivities with a mini Art Show featuring all the students of Maple Grove.
- School Organization: Maple Grove will be full next year. All schools in Vancouver are planning for September. We’re working with numbers (graduating students, Kindergarten intakes, transfer ins and transfer outs). We are also working with staff to determine what their plans are for next year. Once we have more information from HR as to whether or not they agree with our projections and organization we will provide that information to you. We are just letting the dust settle and will be publishing a DRAFT school organization in the coming weeks.
- Class Placement Requests: We do not accept teacher requests. We have a strict set of criteria that we publish annually. Class placement requests must be made in writing and are sent directly to the Principal and must adhere to the criteria. A written request does not guarantee that your request will be granted:
CRITERIA FOR CASTING
A. Objectives of Class placement:
- To organize classes so that each student is in a positive learning situation
- To ensure that each teacher has a manageable teaching assignment that conforms to MOE + the collective agreement.
B. Instructional Criteria:
- Ability Distribution: there should be a range
- Work Habits: there should be a range
- Teaching/Learning Styles: should be considered.
C. Positive Social Grouping:
- Peer conflict
- Boy/ Girl ratio
- Positive leaders
- Previous Experience: Previous class assignment of teachers & students is considered.
- Teacher Recommendations
- Parental Input
- Resource Team Input
E. Attention to Each Child:
- Each child’s academic needs
- Each child’s social needs
- Class group dynamics
- Gender balance
- Equitable distribution of students
Parent requests must be delivered to the office and addressed to Mr. Evans and are due by May 11th.
Rafiki means “friend” in Swahili. The Global Citizenship Club is selling beautiful handmade rafiki beaded bracelets to fundraise for the ME to WE organization. All proceeds of the bracelet sales will go to providing opportunities for women in Kenya. The bracelets are made by female entrepreneurs in Africa so they can financially support their families. To pre-order a bracelet, come see the Global Citizenship Club members before school and at lunch outside the office next week.
Bracelets are $10 each and will be delivered to your classroom before Mother’s Day.
Congratulations to Maple Grove Gardeners!
See their winning entry below and email announcing their prize.
From: Tried and True
Subject: FW: Growing Gardeners Contest – Maple Grove Elementary
Date: April 12, 2018 at 5:11:30 PM PDT
To: Michelle Griffiths
Congratulations to Maple Grove Elementary on being chosen as a winner in our Growing Gardeners Contest!!! Great work!
I will be in touch late next week to set up prize pick up. In the meantime you and your school can celebrate on job well done.
Thank you so much.
Meadowlands Horticultural Inc.
Exceptional Group Meets on Tuesdays.
Come join us
For a meeting of the Exceptional Group
Parents and Caregivers of Exceptional Kids
& Their Allies welcome
This Open Drop in Group meets weekly, at the school and the timing is flexible to respond to the group.
Email email@example.com if you would like to attend and we will try for a date and time that works for you!
Meet parents sharing similar challenges, find resources, skill build and connect
Next weeks topic: Anxiety.
Artelicious is happening in Maple Grove
Congratulations to Amazing Swimmer, Ridley Jenkins from Div 18.
Host an International Student – Join Langara Homestay
Langara College invites you and your family to join our highly regarded Homestay Program by hosting a VSB international student this year. Our students come from Europe, Asia and South America – usually stay for five to 10 months, and are keen to experience life with a Vancouver family. Generous reimbursement is provided. Please call 604.323.5696 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Maple Grove Pac Website (Click to enter)
April 19th – Immunization – Predominantly grade 6 and K students.
April 27 – Professional Development Day – No school for students
You must be logged in to post a comment.