Dear Maple Grove Families,
Welcome back! We hope each of you had a wonderful and relaxing Spring Break and were able to rest and enjoy family time. Term 3 promises to be very busy. Here are some things Maple Grove is currently working on:
- School Plan: The staff have been looking into school plans and are getting close to publishing our Year 1-2-3 plan. We will be reporting out as more information becomes available.
- Artelicious: This is a school-wide culture building project that is based on visual arts. It’s a K-7 project that works on celebrating Maple Grove and who we are. It’s about enculturation and exposing all of our students to the joy of art and celebration. We are thrilled that Ms. Smith has agreed to be our Artist in Residence. Ms. Smith, apart from being our Vice Principal, has been Canadian Art Teacher of the Year, Canadian Secondary Teacher of the Year, had a film made about her, taught at Emily Carr University and is a Art Therapist in Vancouver. The focus of this project is on the children and enriching their art experiences. We’re planning for a Gala Art Show on May 31st 4:00-6:00 pm. Please plan on joining us for all the fun and festivities as have a mini Art Show featuring all the students of Maple Grove.
- School Organization: All schools in Vancouver are planning for September. We’re working with numbers (graduating students, Kindergarten intakes, transfer ins and transfer outs). We are also working with staff to determine what their plans are for next year. Once we have more information from HR as to whether or not they agree with our projections and organization we will provide that information to you.
- Class Placement Requests: Maple Grove does accept placement requests. We do not accept teacher requests. We have a strict set of criteria that we publish annually. This set of criteria will appear in this blog in the next couple of weeks. Class placement requests must be made in writing and are sent directly to the Principal and must adhere to the criteria. A written request does not guarantee that your request will be granted.There’s lots more to write about, we’ll leave it there for now.
FAMILY MOVIE NIGHT- Friday April 13th
We will finally be hosting our movie night at Maple Grove on Friday April 13 at 6:30 pm in the gym.
The movie will be the much celebrated Oscar winner, Coco.
Here are the details:
- doors open at 6. Come early to grab a good spot!
- the price is a suggested donation of $10 per family (you can always give more, profits will go to the PAC)
- popcorn will be for sale for $2-$2.50 a bag
- we are trying to be green so please bring your water bottles, no water will be sold
- you can bring friends and family, it is not restricted to students and their families
LETTER FROM THE CHAIRPERSON OF THE BOARD AND THE NEW SUPERINTENDENT
Dear Parents, please click on the link to read an update from Janet Fraser, Board Chairperson and Suzanne Hoffman, Superintendent of Schools.
YMCA BEFORE/ AFTER SCHOOL CARE AT MAPLE GROVE
A message from the YMCA – Coming September 2018….
We are thrilled to announce that the YMCA will be extending its Kids Club, licensed before-and-after-school care program, to the Maple Grove community. At the YMCA we understand that time gaps before and after school can be a challenge for busy parents, which is why our Kids Club program offers school-aged children with a positive and inviting environment where they can spend their time outside of school hours participating in productive and enjoyable activities. We couldn’t be happier to be able to serve more families and work with more children with the opening of the new program. For additional information or to join our wait-list, please contact us at email@example.com or 604-939-9622
We will be sending home more information as it becomes available. However, as we anticipate that this will be a high-demand program, we encourage parents to contact the above emails/phone numbers to discuss registration, etc.
SUMMER SCHOOL EXPERIENCE
Registration opens on April 27th for summer school and all summer school program information can be found at: https://summer.vsb.bc.ca/Pages/default.aspx
MAD SCIENCE EIGHT-WEEK SCIENCE CLUB
Eight weeks of exciting hands-on science based activities. Watch fascinating demonstrations, join in enquiry-based discussions, participate in individual and group
experiments, and make amazing take-homes. Mad Science will spark the curiosity and imagination of children with fun science activities that will help them understand the world around them.
TO REGISTER, GO TO OUR ONLINE REGISTRATION AT:
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK: MAD SCIENCE OF GREATER VANCOUVER
School: MAPLE GROVE | Sessions: FRIDAY, 3:10 – 4:10 P.M. (GRADES K-7)
Dates: APRIL 13, 20 & 27TH; May 4, 11 & 25TH ; June 1 & 8, 2018
No Session: MAY 18 (PRO-D DAY)
Space is limited so register early – $130 (includes tax) for 8 weeks
*** MONITOR FOR OUR eMAIL ONCE YOU REGISTER *** DEADLINE: MONDAY, APRIL 9, 2018
Sparking Imaginative Learning
This is your chance to be a rocket scientist! Investigate the four
forces of flight with the help of a Unique Flying Object! Explore
the science involved in rocket construction!
Learn what it takes to be a true globetrotter! Race a balloon
rocket and design your own car engine as you learn about
thrust. See the principles of propulsion at work in a real rocket
Discover technology designed for outer space! Steer a laser
beam through a laser maze and find hidden mountains using
the principles of radar technology!
LIVING IN SPACE
Experience the life of an astronaut as you suit up for a space
flight! Use teamwork to complete an important space mission!
PLANET AND MOONS
Explore the farthest reaches of our solar system in this “mad”
planetary tour! Learn how the planets stack up!
ATMOSPHERE AND BEYOND
We’re on a mission to explore the atmosphere on Earth, and beyond!
Travel to the end of a rainbow and make a sunset! Discover how stars
would look in space !
Probe the mysteries of meteors and bounce around satellite light in
this phenomenal program on space events! See comets up close as one
is formed before your eyes!
SUN & STARS
This stellar program is your ticket to the stars! Watch star dust burn,
and journey through a soapy galaxy as you investigate the life cycle of
“Moresports Mini Soccer Spring 2018
No experience necessary! Come play in a fun, low pressure, skill building experience for boys and girls who want to play with friends and school mates in a supportive soccer environment. Includes a Marpole-Oakridge Soccer Jam T-shirt. Soccer shoes and shin guards are not provided but are recommended. Each session includes practice time and game play. Rain or Shine! Mini soccer runs every Saturday starting April 14th to June 9th. No practice on May 19, 2018. Location: Oak Park Field at Marpole-Oakridge CC***Soccer Jam: June 9, 2018 @ Trilium Turf Field. Cost: $40/program.
Mini Soccer gr. K-1 program #: 164506
Mini Soccer gr. 2-3 program #: 164507
Mini Soccer gr. 4-7 Girls program #: 164508
Mini Soccer gr. 4-7 Boys program #: 164509
You can register online: moresports.org/programs
…through the phone: (604) 257-8180 ext. 1
…or in person: at Marpole-Oakridge Community Centre
Maple Grove Pac Website (Click to enter)
April 19th – Immunization – Predominantly grade 6 and K students.
April 27 – Professional Development Day – No school for students