|Important Information – Please Translate|
|這是一份重要資訊 — 請找人為您翻譯 Mahalagang Impormasyon – Paki sali sa sariling wika|
|这是一份重要信息 — 请找人为您翻译 Información importante – Por favor traducir|
|Thông tin quan trọng – Xin phiên dịch|
We have received the following message from our district staff about a program which is very popular with adolescents. The intent of the information is to give parents some resources they can use to discuss the program with their children. The materials are aimed at upper intermediate and secondary students. At Maple Grove some grade 7 students told our Vice-Principal, Lindsay Thompson, that they are watching. If you have further questions or concerns please contact the school.”
13 Reasons Why – Netflix series
Guidance for Parents/ Guardians/ Caregivers:
In light of the popularity of the Netflix series 13 Reasons Why and its depiction of
suicide, bullying, drunk driving we want to bring to your attention the following
The B.C. Ministry of Education and many mental health organizations are highlighting
concerns and providing guidance to school communities and parents to be aware of the
dangers and risks associated with children and young people who have been exposed
to the series.
It is important for parents to know what children are watching and if necessary, engage
them in reflective conversations to make sense of what they are seeing on TV or social
media. The following article was created by the Suicide Awareness Voices for
Education Society (SAVE), http://www.save.org/blog/tips-watching-new-netflix-series-13-
reasons/ as a guideline for talking to children about the TV series. It explains much of
the shows content, and the reasons why some mental health associations are urging
caution in allowing children/teens to watch the show unsupported.
School counsellors can assist school staff and parents to engage in supportive
conversations with students as well as provide resources and offer expertise in
preventing harmful behaviors.
If you need help:
• HealthLink BC- Call 811 or visit http://www.healthlinkbc.ca
• BC Mental Health Support Line- 310-6789
• Kids Help Line 310-1234
• Kids Help Phone 1-800-668-6868
• Call 9-1-1 if you believe that someone’s life is in danger.
Class Organization for 2017 2018
Soon it will be time to start the process of class casting. We will cast in two groups: Montessori and Traditional. The Casting Process usually takes place sometime in June.
We do not accept teacher requests! We do, however, take educational requests that describe an educational environment or educational considerations you feel the school should be aware of. Please submit your requests directly to Mr Evans, Principal, by May 30th
To assist you, if you’re so inclined, I have enclosed a list of standard criteria and consideration:
- CRITERIA FOR CASTING: The objectives of class casting and student placement is to:
- Organize classes so that each student is in a positive learning environment
- Ensure that each teacher has a manageable teaching and learning assignment that conforms to the Ministry of Education guidelines and the teacher’s Collective Agreement
- Ability Distribution + Academic Needs
- Work Habits- there should be a range
- Teaching and learning styles- are considered
- Positive Social/Emotional Groupings
- Peer Conflicts
- Gender balance- boy/girl ratios
- Positive leaders and role models in all classes
- General Criteria
- Previous Experience: class assignments of teachers and students is considered
- Teacher recommendations
- Parental input
- Resource Team input
- Attention to each child- all members of the school team meet to discuss each child at length to ensure that all known factors are taken into consideration before a decision about class placement is finalized (this may take until Sept in some cases). The school team consists of the following personnel- School Principal, classroom teacher(s), support staff (LAC/ELL), Case Manager, and receiving teacher.
Here is team Synergy at the Provincial DI Tournament in Surrey. They placed 2nd in their age category and challenge, but more importantly, 1st in the Instant Challenge! They have been invited to Global Finals which takes place May 23 – 27th in Knoxville, Tennessee. Congratulations to Mrs. Humeniuk and her team!
(Thanks to Massimo for the photo.)
Bard on the Beach Workshop
On Friday, students from Divisions 14, 15 & 16 were treated to a drama workshop by Bard on the Beach actors, Geoff and John. In June, the classes will attend a production of “Much Ado About Nothing”. Thanks to Ms. Griffiths for organizing these activities.
MAPLE GROVE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
ORCHID ORDER FORM
Order Deadline: Thursday, May 4th
- Ensure all cheques are written out to Maple Grove PAC.
- Complete this form and enclose it in an envelope along with all cash and cheques you have received.
- Keep a copy of the form and bring it with you on the day of pick-up.
- Deliver your envelope to the PAC box in the school office by Thursday May 4th, no later than 3:00 pm.
- In respect for our florist, no exceptions can be permitted.
- Orchid orders will be available for pick-up on Friday, May 12th from 3 pm – 4 pm only.
- Students are responsible for delivering their plants to their customers.
Student’s Name: ____________________________________________ Division: _________________
Phone #: __________________________________ Email: ___________________________________
Number of Plants: _______ _x $25.00 each = $ ______________TOTAL AMOUNT ENCLOSED (CASH + CHEQUES)
Thank you for supporting Maple Grove Elementary School
Both myself, Lindsay Thompson, Vice-Principal and Peter Evans, Principal, would like to take this opportunity to say how much we appreciate and support the PAC in their Orchid Fundraiser. Please support our PAC’s initiative of Cloud Books for Classrooms! With each purchase of a beautiful orchid for $25.00, $10.44 will go back to the school for the purchase of valuable technology. If you have any questions with regards to the fundraiser, please contact Paula Temrick, firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the PAC Food Days Fundraiser?
It is a fundraising initiative, whereby we sell healthy food items to the students. All food suppliers used comply to the BC Healthy Schools Food and Beverage Guidelines. The monies raised through this fundraiser will go towards the school. This initiative is not to be confused with the existing VSB hot lunch program.
How is the PAC Food Days Fundraiser different from the existing hot lunch program?
The existing hot lunch program does not raise funds for our school. It is a program offered by the VSB. For a monthly fee, they provide healthy hot lunches everyday of the month when school is in session. The average cost of a lunch is $4.95/day and it includes a hot entree, milk and a fruit or veggie side. This is a great choice if the parent is looking for the convenience of not having to worry about packing a healthy lunch every day for their child.
The PAC Food Days is not offered everyday and does not replace the VSB hot lunch program. The parent gets to choose what they want to order from a pre-determined menu offering. The food is sourced from various caterers and restaurants in the city. At times, the parent may only be ordering an entree. Therefore, a drink and snack may still need to be packed to round out the meal. This is a great choice for those students who are not participating in the existing hot lunch program and the parents want a “day off” from making and packing a lunch.
What if my child is part of the VSB hot lunch program but I want to order from the PAC Food Days Fundraiser?
You are more than welcome to order from the PAC Food Days Fundraiser – the PAC appreciates your support! But know that your PAC food order will be in addition to the food your child will already be receiving from the VSB hot lunch program. NO REFUNDS will be given for the VSB hot lunch on the day that you order PAC Food.
Click here for the:
Maple Grove Pac Website
May 4 – District Wide Earthquake Drill at 2pm
May 5 – Pro D Day- No School for students
– Staff working with project team and architects
May 9 – Provincial Election – Polling station will be in Maple Grove’s Gym all day
Link to Maple Grove District calendar or click the following pdf link to see our monthly school calendar. Please note the district calendar has been revised for next year.
You must be logged in to post a comment.